At the Minute (At the White Lion) - Old Town Square 2/3, Old Town
Old Town Square 2/3, Old Town
Originally a late Gothic house, rebuilt several times, especially in the Renaissance period. The house façade has unusually rich Mannerism sgrafitto decorations (Ancient Greek and biblical themes and also contemporary Renaissance legends); sgrafittos were renovated by J. Čapek in 1919, another renovation followed in 1945 after a fire. On the corner there is a Classicist stone sculpture of a lion. A painted wooden Renaissance ceiling was preserved inside as well as Renaissance and Baroque vaults with frescos. In 1712-1850 there was a pharmacy inside the house, in 1889-1896 F. Kafka used to live there with his parents and since 1896 the house has formed part of the Old Town Hall complex. Allegedly the name of the house reminds of a tobacconist shop which was located there in the 19th century (back then cigarettes were only smoked for a minute or so).