At the Red Eagle (At the Dear in a Pot) - Celetná Street 21/593, Old Town
Celetná Street 21/593, Old Town
Originally a Gothic house (remainders in the basement), rebuilt a number of times, its current appearance was created during a High Baroque reconstruction around 1725 and also during a late Classicist adaptation in 1838. In 1958 the house was very insensitively adapted and most of the Classicist architectural details were removed. The house has been owned by the Charles University since 1754, originally there used to be flats of professors from law and medical faculties. In the 19th century there used to be a coffee house U Suchých which was frequently visited by Czech patriots such as J. K. Tyl and K. H. Mácha; the latter one met his lover Lori Šomková there. The house sign (imperial eagle) is original from the end of the 18th century.