Statue of St. Anthony of Padua with baby Jesus - the ninth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the ninth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statue was created by Jan Oldřich Mayer in 1707 and donated by Kryštof Mořic Withauer, a councilor of the Prague Castle. St. Anthony of Padua, dressed in a regular vestment, is standing on a simple prismal pedestal and is leaning against a voluted upstand with baby Jesus Christ. On both sides of the statuary, there are two stone vases; the right one is adorned with reliefs showing scenes from the legend about the saint. On the front side of the pedestal, there is the Latin inscription The zealot of God’s glory, make the enemies of Emperor Joseph tremble with fear: 1707. On both the right and the left, there is the same Latin inscription Erected and dedicated to incarnated God and St. Anthony of Padua by C.M.V.: 1707. By the feet of the saint, there used to be an ornamented lantern and a ribbon on the saint’s neck.